Sample Wisconsin Marital Separation
Marital Separation Agreement in WisconsinLegal separation is your ticket out of marriage termination or a literal divorce. It is almost like a divorce, but it doesn’t lead to the dissolution of the marriage. In the process of legal separation, a couple discusses and resolves all the issues regarding their marriage. The main issues on the table include children, property division, debt relief, and other issues.
Reasons why couples opt for legal separation
- You may be wondering why you should opt for a legal separation if the outcome is close to that of a divorce. Well, although the process is similar, and you may end up dissolving your marriage, a legal separation has its advantages. They include:
- You still get to reap the benefits of your spouse’s health insurance when you are only legally separated. However, this isn’t always the case if your insurer is against it.
- In other cases, religion comes in, and you aren’t allowed to get a divorce. If this is the case, then you can agree to stay married but lead separate lives.
- It is a good option when you just need space for each other.
- It is a good alternative if the possibility of reconciliation exists.
Process of obtaining a legal separation
- In the state of Wisconsin, the legal separation is set in motion when a party files a petition in the circuit court. The petition should be filed in the county where at least one spouse resides.
- After filing the petition, there will be a requirement of service upon the other party.
- Next, there will be a temporary court hearing to help settle any pending family law issues like child and spousal support.
- After these issues are addressed, there will be a final hearing. At the hearing, the judgment of legal separation is entered. The legal marital separation agreement in Wisconsin could easily save your marriage.
Converting a separation into a divorceIf both parties to the marriage jointly stipulate that the legal separation should transform into a divorce, they will have to go back to the court. The court permits the couple to move forward with the dissolution process. Following the granting of the judgment of separation, either party could petition the court to convert that judgment into a divorce. But, this has to be a year-long period of waiting. The other party does not have to agree to this for the court to approve the request for the dissolution of the marriage. Following the granting of the judgment of separation, either party could petition the court to convert that judgment into a divorce. But, this has to be a year-long period of waiting. The other party does not have to agree to this for the court to approve the request for the dissolution of the marriage. The best part is that you don’t have to articulate to the court your desire for a separation. However, both of you have to testify to the court that you believe that your marriage is broken. Other than the conversion of a legal separation into a divorce, a demonstration that marriage is irretrievably broken forms legitimate grounds for a divorce in the state of Wisconsin. This Wisconsin Marital Separation Agreement will guide your decision on legal separation. Whether you live in Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Kenosha, Racine, Appleton, Waukesha, Eau Claire, Oshkosh or any other city of Wisconsin, you can use our legal forms easily.
WI Marital Separation Agreement
Personalize your Separation Agreement template.
Print or download in minutes.